Re: Pol Joni

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.hughes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:03:17 -0000

The way we describe these things does tend to vary according to which side of the Berlin Wall you are standing at the time. I don't suppose they are described as outlaws in the oral histories of the Pol Joni themselves, the author of that section of the CHoDP may not have been a fan of the Pol Joni or may have been nervous of Praxian sensibilities (which would fit with the period and Argrath's use of Bison Tribe forces).

>In any
> case since they want to ride horses, they aren't ordinary Praxians.

I would think they were rather desperate Praxians. It would be hard to survive out there if expelled from your clan for any reason (or if your clan had been destroyed). They would have to be either desperate or determined if they were to switch their riding beasts for horses (which it states that they were required to do).

Anyway part of my reason for bothering is that the Pol Joni are one of the better candidates for a campaign where the human flotsam and jetsam of the Lunar invasion are able to come together and find a new home (of sorts). Its documented well enough that this is how the tribe grew rapidly in the first place. That they repeated the process would seem the most obvious explanation for their apparent rapid recovery in military strength[1] under the Lunar occupation.

[1] After their defeat 3-4 years previously they were unable to send any noticable forces to Moonbroth in 1610, a battle pretty much on their home turf against an enemy they had more reason to hate than most. By 1613 their fortunes had recovered to the point that they were able to send significant forces to aid in Starbrow's rebellion.

--
Nic