Re: Pol Joni

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:05:14 -0700 (PDT)

Mark Mohrfield:

> Uralda is in Thunder Rebels on page 204. She is a
> subcult of Esrola.

That's what I was afraid I half remembered. Ah, well.

Peter:

> The Pol Joni are stated in the Pavis Book as:
>
> They carried battle magics, and their
> magicians worshipped Rune gods, unlike
> the Shamans of Prax. These cattle
> people offered proper sacrifice to the
> deities of the Paps [...].
> P & BR p60.
>
> The mention of sacrifice indicates misapplied
> worship.

Spot on.

> >Was Uralda written up as a
> >goddess in Storm Tribe?
>
> In Thunder Rebels, she is a subcult of Esrola.
> In Prax, the fertile earth is unreachable and
> so I think the Pol Joni worship Eiritha as a
> substitute for Esrola.

That seems rational, but how well would Eiritha really work for beasts not mythically descended from her? I assume that the Pol Joni have nothing like a Protectress, so much of the beast-magic of Eiritha will be unavailable. Perhaps she acts as their mythic Aunt or adoptive mother or something? Or maybe they worship Eiritha (through sacrifice) at the Paps as some variation on a landscape spirit (though the geography is not quite right)?

Nic:

> Except for the ones of Praxian origin :) According
> to KoDP the tribe took in refugees from the other
> Praxian tribes and this was in part how the tribe
> was able to expand so fast. . . . [I]t seems odd
> that most of the male Praxian recruits would have
> had to give up all their practices and magics on
> the spot.

As others point out, these had to be exiles, people who broke Praxian law, were deprived of their beasts, were cast out by their Founders and Protectresses, and had their knots severed. No one else would leave their own clan to join a bunch of horse-riders. <ptooey> They lost their magic as part of that exile, so would have no problem accepting new magic. However, they would not be a cohesive cultural force among the Bastards, so the Pol Joni would remain Heortling in culture.

> Which is not only hard to imagine but also
> a bit of a problem from the POV of a campaign
> within the Pol Joni which I am
> vaguely considering writing up.

YGMV.

Chris Lemens