Re: Re: magic

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:35:05 +0200

David Dunham 00-05-26 07.50

>Just about every cult has ranged magic that can take you out of a
>combat. I'm only bothering to list the Heortling deities:
>
>Babeester Gor (Shout of Pain), Bevara (Earsplitting Scream), Chalana
>Arroy (Sleep), Ernalda (Make Person Heavy), Hedkoranth, Humakt
>(Visage of Fear), Orlanth (Snatch Breath),

Good, a few that I hadn't thought of there. Certainly demolishes my
assertion that only warrior cults get them. :-) Still, Orlanth
Adventurous doesn't have any at the moment. In a full cult write-up
(Thunder Rebels?) he'll get the magic weapon subcults, of course (not that they're difficult to convert now...).

>> I haven't found
>> anything that says magical attacks get any kind of edge to compare with
>> weapon ranks either.
>
>This is one reason I think the ranks should remain an optional
>rule... I find edges slow things down, so the more ways to avoid
>them, the better.

I kinda like them. They provide another means of differentiation: between two opponents with equal skill, the one with better equipment will tend to be victorious.
I suppose magical attacks don't really _need_ edges anyway, since they're resisted by different abilities and ignore armor in most cases.

>> Anyway, I assume that as long as you get no worse than a marginal defeat,
>> you can try [augmenting] over and over again until you get it right.
>
>I don't allow it, and seeing as how most failures give you a penalty...

Yeah, Roderick's already proven me wrong on this one. :-)

>> P.S. About enhancements that give edges. They're a _lot_ more efficient
>> than bonuses, but among the theist keywords I've only found two feats
>> that would seem to do this, both protective in nature.
>
>I tend to prefer using bonuses, since they work for simple contests
>too, but it seems to me that Bear's Strength, Great Blow, Slashing
>Blow, Swordhelp, Thunder Sling could all be interpreted as doing more
>damage. Be creative when describing feats! And yes, a feat can be
>used more than one way.

Oops! This is what happens when I have too much information. See, I still had the preview of the rules in mind, where it says: "Unless otherwise indicated, theistic feats are augmentations, sorcery spells give edges and spirits loan APs". But in the published rules this restriction is nowhere to be found, so my argument falls flat. Probably for the best, it was just a RQ holdover anyway... ;-)

The enhancement/augmentation/bonus terminology on p.133-4 is all mixed up, BTW, but not very difficult to sort out.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Game Masters are not gods.
They just tell them what to do.