Re: Orderly player characters in practice?

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:14:05 -0000

They do have their own limits, but I'm not sure that it is bad as you are thinking....

> In particular, player characters who are orderlies but not
liturgists
> will be unable to re-consecrate their talismans mid-week or while
away
> from the territory of their orders. If they are liturgists of their
> orders (an option which means devoting 30% or their time and hero
> points to the order), they will still be out of luck if they fail in
> contests to re-consecrate their talismans.

So a few points here.
- Being a liturgist is a delta of 10% of time and resources. Besides teh ability to reconsecrate talismans, I seem to recall that liturgists can use their abilities as a basic magical sense, something that orderlies don't have. So there are reasonable benefits to being an orderly-liturgist (where allowed) or having a liturgist follower.

> I understand there are good cultural reasons for narrator characters
> to join churches and orders, but that doesn't mean it makes sense
for
> player characters. Am I missing something? Is there some workaround
> that makes it more practical for player characters to belong to an
> order? Or in practice do most simply choose wizardry schools,
animism,
> or theism?

As already noted, it probably depends a lot on the setting you are using--in many settings animism and theism just aren't really options. Belonging to a wizardly school does give you access to more potent magic, but it has its own requirements--essentially that is your profession, and unless you start off at high levels you are bound to your master.

Of course, don't forget that even when not using their flashy spells, most orderlies will still be augmented by various blessings. In many cases these augments will match or surpass what theists or animists would obtain from their own magic. So even when they don't have spells available, it isn't like orderlies are magically bereft.

Finally, as someone on here (Mike I think?), useful abilities with limited uses actually are cool from a play point of view, because it makes them special when used, and adds extra drama to the decision to use it. It may not be more powerful, but it can be more dramatic. Associated with this is that it lets a greater variety of challenges be challenging....sometimes by preference or circumstances they'll have to deal with certain things without their spells, adding a certain sense of desperation again.

So are they somewhat limited? Of course. Is it all that bad? I don't think so.

--Bryan