Re: Pol Joni worship of Waha

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:52:03 -0700 (PDT)

> I think the best solution for this may be
> misapplied worship of Waha as a common magic
> religion. This allows converts and other
> tribe members to still worship Waha yet the
> magic they gain from this is limited to the
> list of survival tricks (plus maybe an
> additional odd scrap of common magic). In
> effect the Pol Joni tribe is happy to
> tolerate worship of Waha as a hero who
> taught everyone how to survive in the
> blasted lands of Prax and the Wastelands.
> It does not regard (or tolerate) his cult
> as being one that usurps Orlanth's role in
> establishing the way of life and leadership
> of the clans.

This seems pretty sensible in feel, excluding the terminology about misapplied worship (see below). HeroQuest says that Waha taught the Survival Tricks to everyone, even outlanders and ground men.

> As this is acting as a common magic religion,
> teaching only common magic feats, can anyone
> suggest any game mechanical effects there
> may be to the fact that the worship is
> essentially misapplied?

I don't think that they engage in misapplied worship of Waha in order to gain the Survival Tricks, which are all common magic talents. Common magic talents are magic from the hero. The Pol Joni might honor the Silver Age hero that taught how to use them (probably in a role of Eiritha's son). But I don't think they teach worship of him directly in the HQ sense.

Mike Gibb:

> Completely non-canon I'm sure but I've always
> thought of the Pol Joni being the other way
> around and (misapplied) worshipping Orlanth
> as the "Little Brother" spirit along with
> Humakt as "Iron Man" etc - details of that
> one are in MoLaD.

Nope. That's the genuine Praxians that worship those entities that way. There are probably more concentrated animists among the Pol Joni than among most Heortling tribes, but the MoLaD description is of a fundamentally Praxian group. YGMV.

Nic responding to Mike:

> > To me it makes them very different to ordinary
> > Sartari Orlanthi and given Prax is more of an
> > animist than theist place seems to fit more
> > to me.
>
> For my write-up I currently have these options
> under "unusual but accepted practices". I am
> toying with the idea of making one of the
> named clans[1] work exactly this way.
>
> [1] Who IMG will be culturally non-Pol Joni but
> politically acting as if part of the tribe.

This seems like a sensible variation. The Ansil, Potor, and [the other one] clans are pretty much a blank slate in terms of how they worship. Even where they probably ought to be included within descriptions of the Pol Joni generally, you can say that whatever statement it was is correct for the Pol Joni generally, but not for all of their allies. I don't know of any reason to say that none of the three clans have converted to an animist method of worship. They cold be remnants of the Pure Horse Tribe (as Peter? suggested) or they could simply be the clan that has been there the longest, so their concentrated animists have had a longer time to succeed relative to their concentrated theists.

Chris Lemens

Declare Yourself - Register online to vote today! http://vote.yahoo.com