RE: Shameful confusion about Fetish/Spirit Ally rules

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:26:07 +0100

> First, getting such a spirit in the first place can be
> difficult if it's not
> really friendly, as the resistance is based on this rating.
> Further, when
> you want a spirit to come out, it takes a contest. If the
> spirit doesn't
> like the reason it's being summoned, it again resists this
> summoning with it's ability rating.

According to the contest rules on p137, it resists with its "attitude". (see page 132)
Flipping backwards... Friendly spirits have an attitude of 14. Neutral spirits, as you say, use their ability rating.

> >How fast does it return? Could that be the answer?
>
> I think that it means that the Spirit Ally returns instantly

No, I think we just checked that. "As described above" - with a significant delay. There's a fair amount of text about that, but the idea is that by default it's back by the next session, and if you want it faster, use "open spirit world" to go looking.

> Worse, shamans can, IIRC, have multiple allies. No?

Checking... P 139-140. Yes. At 10% commitment each.

> But I'm not sure that they can add like a
> spirit released from a fetish does.

It isn't quite explicit, but it seems to be implied that they can. P137. With a lot of back-references.

Though I believe (never checked) that a starting character can't be a shaman anyway. So given the amount of effort you have to take to become one, maybe having them powerful is fair enough?