Re: Improving spirit abilities--possible?

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:34:44 -0000

<excellent examples snipped>

I'll add one more: your hero band guardian can definately be improved- -it is right in the rules :) Sure the easiest way is to have more people support it or to quest for powers for it, but the rule is there to allow the whole band to chip in to improve it. And gee, just like spirit allies, guardians have three abilities, and if you consider a hero band of 1 person, with a spirit as the guardian, the abilities don't line up perfectly with those of a spirit ally, but they come reasonably close.

> So given those examples, I don't think it's unreasonable to allow
an allied
> spirit's skills to increase.

Me neither!

What's going on (in that case) is this: The
> *spirit* isn't changing, but the character, by spending the HPs,
improves
> his understanding of the spirit's abilities.

Another alternative--the hero is better grounding the spirit in the mundane world, making it more real. First of all that lets the spirit work better here, and secondly it makes it more like a middle world being, which can grow. Think for instance of the spirit of an animist, when they die their spirit goes to the spirit realms for some time, behaving like a spirit, but later it gets re-born into a person. So it is not impossible for spirits (with perhaps some limit to their significance) to move back and forth from the spirit world and the mundane world, it would seem.

Mind you, if the spirit ever returns fully to the spirit world (loses its spirit ally status), I presume it returns to its original state (just as people's spirit return to the mundane world as a blank slate).

--Bryan