Re: Shameful confusion about Fetish/Spirit Ally rules

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:02:29 -0400

Roderick wrote:

>The "Spirit Ally as Sidekick" combines two rules concepts. One says: "You
>can't make spirits stronger with HP". The other says: "You can buy up your
>Sidekick's abilities with HP". My work-arounds were to make Rule 2 over-ride
>to Rule 1. However, you can always decide to make Rule 1 dominant and, even
>if the Ally is a Sidekick, not allow HP increases to a Spirit Ally.

A third option would be to make the player choose one or the other - the spirit is either an Ally or a Sidekick. If you take it as a Spirit Ally, it functions as a Spirit Ally and you can't spend HP to increase its abilities. If you take it as a Sidekick, then it functions as a Sidekick and can't be released to add its rating to your own. In either case it is an immaterial being that lives in an item/creature that you carry around with you.

I doubt it is necessary to be that harsh, though. Not many players I know spend their hard won HP on sidekicks.

~Kevin McD