Re: Re: Shameful confusion about Fetish/Spirit Ally rules

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:08:41 -0700

Paul May <kax_at_...> wrote:
> At 05:22 AM 28/10/04, Andrew Solovay wrote in reply to MHolmes:
>> All I was doing was objecting to the statement, "Spirits are
>> otherworld entities, *therefore* their scores can't increase." It
>> seems to me that within Gloranthan metaphysics, there would be ways
>> for their scores to go up short of a full-on heroquest. So if a
>> narrator decided, he could permit an allied spirit's scores to
>> increase under certain circumstances. Maybe as "advanced
>> experience", for example, or as a special reward in an extraordinary
>> situation.
>

> As per Gloranthan history, Otherworld beings agreed at the
> Compromise that they could be immortal on the premise that
> they did not, and could not, change.

I feel like we're talking past each other.

I'm describing situations where *the spirit doesn't change*--and the compromise is kept--but, *as far as the character is concerned*, it's as if the spirit's score improved.

When a character goes from "Sword of Hellfire 18" to "Sword of Hellfire 2W", that doesn't (necessarily) mean the *sword* has changed--rather, the character is now able to make better use of the powers the sword always had.

Similarly, I'm describing/proposing situations where the spirit *remains exactly the same*, but more of the spirit's power is available to the character (because he understands it better, or because more worship releases more of the power the spirit already had). The spirit doesn't change, but as far as the *character* is concerned, it's as if the spirit's "sword combat 18" skill had increased to "sword combat 2W".