RE: Re: Shameful confusion about Fetish/Spirit Ally rules

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 13:04:14 -0600

>From: "jeffrichard68" <jeff.richard_at_...>

>I agree with Roderick as to the Gloranthan metaphysics. However,
>one way around this is to simply say that the player has learned
>more about the spirit's true nature (or whatever). The spirit
>hasn't changed, but the player's ability to harness its power has.

Sure, one could argue this in theory (in fact, from one POV, no ability score represents anything in-game but the character's liklihood to affect the plot through the application of said ability, but that's another discussion entirely.) The thing is that the system already does represent this in the character's relationship with the spirit. That is, not only does the relationship relate to the character's growing ability to use the spirit without repercussion, but you can augment the spirit with the relationship to represent his growing understanding of how to "harness its power."

I also agree in general that the rules aren't proscriptive here. That is, the only rule that says that a character can't take an ability to use a computer is the one that says that the GM may prohibit a player from taking any abilities that don't make sense. That is, there are some things about Glorantha that are true that the GM has to enforce, because no rule set could be created that could cover all cases. As such, the rule that says generally that things can be increased is over-ruled by whatever we do know of Gloranthan metaphysics and such.

I agree that you can apply the rules the way that you're saying - it's a GM call at that point according to the rules. The question is why? When it's much less problematic to not allow the increase, why allow it here? Just to make a general rule more generally applied? To get rid of the exception? I'm not seeing how the game improves with this version, unless we're looking at a very localized need for a specific game.

Put another way, I could see it maybe working for you, but would you recommend that I do it? I don't have anything against being able to increase spirit abilities in principle. What's the general advantage to having it be so over the current rule?

Mike