Re: Movement rates

From: jeffrichard68 <jeff.richard_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:35:22 -0000

> From my experience I would say 35 miles is a much more reasonable
> starting point. Thru-hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail carrying
> light loads across a very well marked trail with absolutely no
danger
> of being attacked by chaos or angry clan neighbors, will do 35
miles
> a day a *few days* in the 3 or 4 months it takes them to walk the
> 2700 mile trail. That travel rate is in the flattest and most
easily
> traversed sections of the trail and is a good base, imo, for
movement
> rates. But of course YGMV.

I agree with Mitch. I've done a fair number of 50 mile backpack trips in the Cascades, Olympics and Rockies. 12-15 miles a day is pretty solid progress. I've never hiked 35 miles in one day - the furthest I've ever hiked in a single day is 20 miles. I know Dave Pearton can go a lot further, but he's a crazy marathon runner.:)

FWIW, when I had my band of Colymar march more than 20 miles from Redbird to Elkvale, I gave them all a target number of 17 to see how winded they'd be when they fought the next day. One player ended up spending a hero point to avoid being impaired.

Jeff