RE: Re: Movement rates

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:22:25 -0000

> >Except that you're back to assuming this is a contest. What
> we started
> >with was "we want to get from A to B, a distance of X miles.
> How long
> >should it reasonably take?"

> The only reason you need to know how long something takes in
> game time, IMO,
> is because there's some sort of time pressure associated with
> it. If not,
> then "A few days" or a couple of weeks for a long trip,
> always suffices.

Only if you ignore my earlier post.
Example, probably roughly what I came up with before: Say we have someone riding from Boldhome to Whitewall, and back, as fast as they can do it. There is also someone else doing the same trip but in no particular hurry. How much of a gap will there be between the two of them arriving, and how much action will others be able to take in that gap?

It would be good if the first guy could get back in time for the ceremony that has to take place at the dark of the moon. It's now full moon. Is this reasonable and possible, or will the rest of the group plan for his absence?

A moon-boat leaves Boldhome at the same time, heading elsewhere. How far will it have got by the time either messenger gets to WW? Will the consequences of its arrival at wherever have an impact, or not?

There are no rolls here. There are PCs and NPCs trying to do some advance planning based on likely timings. Remember advance planning? It relies on having hard data, not hand-waving.