Re: Travel Times

From: Jeff Kyer <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:48:50 -0500

> --- "Graeme P. Bell" <mac_logo_at_...> wrote:
> > How could *anyone* make such a mistake - travel
> > times so *obviously*
> > belong in the Lunar Handbook and would be entirely
> > out of place in the main HQ book...
>
> I know, I'm just stupid like that.
>
> Maybe it was published as soon as it was available?
> And if everything we wanted to know about anything was
> in the HQ book, it would be
> a) a foot thick
> b) not published yet?
>
> > Maybe that table should be
> > extracted (or an expanded version) and put on the
> > Issaries website somewhere?
>
> I'd suggest an expanded and corrected version, having
> looked at it in more detail. It seems to be based on
> the travel times of a couch potato, not a fit
> pseudo-medieval/Dark Age type.
>
> =====
> Jane Williams

There is a travel table somewhere in Trader Princes. The distances used are based on those traveled by Voyageurs, Hudson Bay Men, Silk Road caravans and the like. Not everyone moves with Caesar Speed. =)

For those of you thinking that the travel rates in ILH were apppalingly low, I would remind you that medieveal travel was really, really slow (as reading Pendragon will remind anyone) mostly due to the lack of real roads, etc, etc, etc. The research I did based on travelers tales was a real eye-opener.

Just sayin'

Jeff

--
Flight to Peru - £1000
Camping gear - £200

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.