Re: Movement rates

From: pedrodevaca <pavis_gm_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:39:38 -0000

Mike wrote:
>But this is a maximum
> rate, and makes some assumptions. One of which is that the
> situation is either life or death, or the soldier is going to be
> able to rest the next day.

Exactly. Most ultra-marathon runners don't run again for a week, maybe two, after a race. Of course they are trying to keep their bodies in the best shape possible and avoid injury. A warrior may not have that luxury.

> The contest is to be able to do it without damaging one's endurance
> for the next day.

This is my approach as well. Imo, appropriate abilities would be Endurance, Walk Far, Jogging -3 etc. A failure could be exhaustion, injured ankle, or in extreme cases a bad knee that could continually come back to haunt the character (but I like to torture my players with small doses of humanity).

> Basically, use the system as it's designed to present the challenge
> as it exists. In fact, unles you want to really detail each day,
> don't roll each day, but instead come up with the whole trip as a
> congolmerate roll.

This is exactly what I would do for long trips where a roll is justified. Lately, I've been kicking around ideas for a story, or a major scene of a story, that showcases the journey itself as the key dramatic conflict - turning the trip into an extended contest.

Light Castle wrote:
>I would like this kind of thing, too. Just having an idea in general
>terms of what is normal often would help. I can do contests when I
>need there to be contests, but I need the info for more than that.
Hmmmm... S. Martin asked me to write up something just like this for the narrator advice section. The draft has survived a disorganized move and a harddrive crash (one of the only files to survive) - its like a wart. Maybe I should finish that...