Re: Mixed Religion Branching (Was:Presents from a shaman)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:46:54 -0800

Mike,

First, let me apologize for somewhat snarky message yesterday.

> That's what I meant by my statement. A 17 Know Orhan Pantheon Myths won't
> get you any of the secrets of the Humakt cult because that takes "Myths of
> Humakt." That is, I figured this was precisely why there are separate
> abilities for these things.

Correct.

> But you're missing the point by a wide margin. I'm not concerned with what
> "might" get created. I'm concerned with how to run what's already been
> created. That is, the standard formats that the information are presented
in
> now, do not tell the complete story.
>
> >If it's one of the 10 sample homelands or some other published material,
> >then you have the baselines.
>
> No, see, if these had been clear to me as to how they operate, I wouldn't
be
> here asking. I'm looking for the general priciples to apply to, say, the
> Teshnan religion. I want to be able to run it, or at least to understand
how
> it works so I can make up a new religion like it. As it stands, I'm not
sure
> how it does work, precisely.

But those *are* baselines - Bison Riders are baseline Animists, Dara Happans are baseline Theists, etc.

The one religion that we have detailed, the one that is supposedly *so* strictly Theistic, isn't. How strictly you want to adhere to the Homeland descriptions of any of the un-detailed religions is currently up to you. Will Issaries *ever* get around to detailing the religion of Teshnos? Maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath for too long.

Don't put your personal projects on hold waiting for the Complete Book Of the Five Thousand Gods of Teshnos, go ahead with your project. Especially as, if I remember correctly, your project is not Glorantha anyway. The Three-Otherworld model of magic is specifically Gloranthan, and other worlds don't have to adhere to it.

Now, speciofically for Teshnos, it's a Common Magic religion according to HQ 56. that means that no-one is "entitled" to the five charms of a Spiritist, unless you make up a Spirit Tradition (none are listed) and allow the player to specify that he has joined it. I would say that Teshnos, as currently presented, is the *most* like old RQ in it's presentation of magic and cults (where we had a Orlanth Adventurous, a Storm Bull, a Humakti, a Yelmalian and a Black Fang Brotherhood cultist all adventuring together with no concerns about who belonged to what pantheon, 'cause they all belonged to the "RQ+Cults of Prax Pantheon").

> OK, gotcha. Hard, unlikely, uncommon, but not impossible, though. It had
> misread you as saying that it was impossible.

I did say that at the beginning of the last brouhaha about maintaining two religions, but as long as it is within one religion (Kolat in the Storm tribe), then no problem.

RR
- Richelieu