Re: Digest Number 1703

From: Labrygon_at_...
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:33:57 EST

In a message dated 17/11/2004 5:03:02 AM AUS Eastern Standard Time, HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

> >From: ASHLEY MUNDAY <aescleal_at_...>
> >
> >How about using something simple like a contest of the
> >number of miles marched as the resistance? You want to
> >go 50 miles, you test against 10W2, which is going to
> >be pretty damned hard.

FWIW, I had some fun using a resistance of (number of movement point costsx2) on a DP boardgame map. this was the resistance to whichever skill the players were using to get across the terrain. Defeats all had consequences - got lost, got exhausted, encountered some problem. I allowed almost any skill, but if a player chose to cross a civilised valley using his Close Combat skill then we al knew that success was bad, even if defeat was worse.

It worked in my game, and gave the players some choice in how the journey would proceed.

Keith