RE: Re: travel times

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:14:51 -0600

>From: Paul May <kax_at_...>

> You then roll on Health, that being used for fatigue-related actions. I
>rate how well you did by how much you made or failed the roll by, anything
>from, "You crit failed; you not only didn't make it on time, the reason why
>not is a twisted kneee that needs treatment" to "Crit success! Brilliant!
>You got there in enough time to have a quick wash before having to see the
>king, and you get a reaction bonus."
> It's not just pass/fail; the amount of success does determine how fast
>you are compared to the baseline.

Sure. But you're just making up this part, nothing in GURPs particularly suggests it. In fact, it seems to me that all of your ideas here are suggested by HQ. That is, you're HQing GURPs. Which is fine, it's just not using the GURPs system as presented. Which is all that I was objecting to.

> Sorry. It's not specified in anything you said. It is implied, though,
>an extent. If you have a trip with a, say, 17 difficulty based on a fast
>movement rate and a good path, and a really bad roll would indicate bad
>weather and bandits, what does a complete victory denote? Moving at a rate
>faster than possible without magic? Or, thinking of things, finding a
>Sartar road? :)

It means whatever you think it should mean. Mechanically it means that the resisting force got a defeat. For a complete defeat, I'd just say that you never had to roll again to make the trip in that amount of time. For a lesser level of victory, I'd apply the defeat to the resistance the next time you took the trip. You've gotten to know the ins and outs of the rout and you're good at it.

The goal was to get to X in Y time. A better success might reduce that time, but there are all sorts of other ways that you can indicate what a greater success means. It could mean that the character is feeling good about his endurance and any more such resistances will be reduced by the penalty amount. I could go on and on.

In any case, of course it's going to make sense, why would I do otherwise? Just like your use of the GURPS mechanisms, you wouldn't have that health roll mean that they went 100 MPH, right? Why would you suspect that I would do something that silly myself in interpreting the result?

> We aren't, I don't think. I'm not. But you have to have the distance and
>travel rate numbers to base difficulty on.
> To get back to basics for this thread; given Jane's original problem,
>how
>would you work it out? Please give all working, not just your difficulty
>results. ;)

I started with the fifty mile figure, saying that it was a maximum potential pace, and giving a high difficulty for that, to represent the likely damage the character would do to themselves by taking on such a day journey. I then suggested lower difficulties for lower lengths traveled. Here's a link to the post in question: