Re: Travel times

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:17:31 +1100

At 06:17 PM 19/11/04, MHolmes wrote:
> >From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
> > You then roll on Health, that being used for fatigue-related actions. I
> >rate how well you did by how much you made or failed the roll by, anything
> >from, "You crit failed; you not only didn't make it on time, the reason why
> >not is a twisted kneee that needs treatment" to "Crit success! Brilliant!
> >You got there in enough time to have a quick wash before having to see the
> >king, and you get a reaction bonus."
> > It's not just pass/fail; the amount of success does determine how fast
> >you are compared to the baseline.
>
>Sure. But you're just making up this part, nothing in GURPs particularly
>suggests it. In fact, it seems to me that all of your ideas here are
>suggested by HQ. That is, you're HQing GURPs. Which is fine, it's just not
>using the GURPs system as presented. Which is all that I was objecting to.

  GURPS does actually suggest and specify taking how much you made a roll by as an indicator of success or failure, and has done since about 2nd edition. And I've been using it that way for a decade and a half. I'm not "HQing GURPS", I'm using what I have always done.

> > Sorry. It's not specified in anything you said. It is implied, though,
> >an extent. If you have a trip with a, say, 17 difficulty based on a fast
> >movement rate and a good path, and a really bad roll would indicate bad
> >weather and bandits, what does a complete victory denote? Moving at a rate
> >faster than possible without magic? Or, thinking of things, finding a
> >Sartar road? :)
>
>It means whatever you think it should mean. Mechanically it means that the
>resisting force got a defeat. For a complete defeat, I'd just say that you
>< snip >
>endurance and any more such resistances will be reduced by the penalty
>amount. I could go on and on.

  Fair enough.

>In any case, of course it's going to make sense, why would I do otherwise?
>Just like your use of the GURPS mechanisms, you wouldn't have that health
>roll mean that they went 100 MPH, right? Why would you suspect that I would
>do something that silly myself in interpreting the result?

  Sorry, I was exaggerating for effect. Because HQ is more abstract than most systems, you do have to specify what a resistance means. "Resistance 17, on the goal of getting to X on time, and particularly before Y gets there," is much better than "Reisistance 17" on its own. One must add context, always, as there is no inherent context to just giving a resistance.

> > We aren't, I don't think. I'm not. But you have to have the distance and
> >travel rate numbers to base difficulty on.
> > To get back to basics for this thread; given Jane's original problem,
> >how would you work it out? Please give all working, not just your difficulty
> >results. ;)
>
>I started with the fifty mile figure, saying that it was a maximum potential
>pace, and giving a high difficulty for that, to represent the likely damage
>< snip >
>don't bother doing the calculations. This describes my method of doing
>travel in the style of game in which I play (which, obviously, is not
>everybody's style).
>
>Is that any more clear now?

  Is good. Thanks. So, you do work out time and distance and travel rate and comparisons, if it's necessary, and then work a resistance based on that. Cool.

--
| Paul May               | paul.robert.may_at_...
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | kax_at_...
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | the_kax_at_...
| PGP key on www.pgp.net | spell_at_...

    I'm an omnitheist. You can't have too many messiahs.