Re: Re: converting; cliffs; magic

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 16:25:21 +0200

Michael W Ryan:
> > no-mastery is a young kid shading towards experienced at the high end
>> 1-mastery is a normal experienced person shading towards "really good" at
>> the high end
>> 2-mastery is clan or tribal champion
>> 3-mastery is a Hero (Argrath, Gunda, Sir Ethilrist, Ironhoof, etc)
>> 4-mastery is Superhero/Demigod (Harrek, Androgeous, Jar-eel). This is the
>> lowest "godly" level. You can start to be worshipped and provide benefits to
> > your followers. [snip]
>
>Thank you. This was the kind of reference that I was looking for. This
>allows questions asked by a player like "Umm... is 5w1 any good?" to be
>answered.

The easiest way to get around this is to simply decide for yourself what constitutes poor/good/experienced/elite/whatever. Since your group of PCs won't match rating levels in scenarios anyway, you still have to scale scenario TNs to suit your group.

>I also have to say that this escalated more than I had thought.

There are those of us that don't like the mastery inflation in HW. My take on mastery frequencies is based on converting 5% in RQ to 1 in HW, making 90% equal 18.

Why? Because i want a single mastery level to be *very* impressive.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]