Re: Re: Augmenting to Augment?

From: joshua neff <joshua_neff_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:03:43 -0800 (PST)

> > > Granted I'm new to HQ rules, but we just
> encountered this in game,
> > > and the players and myself agreed that the rules
> for augmenting
> > > others, as written, seem very singular. Thus
> far we have only
> > > allowed a character to use one ability in total
> to augment another.
> > >
> > > -Mitch
> >
> >The main problem with that as I see it is that you
> will almost always
> >be able to augment something with something else,
> probably giving you
> >+2, end of story. I just think that ends up being a
> bit dull
> >
> >Sam.
>
> I've started a new campaign using the rule that only
> one augment is
> allowed. (*) To make that more attractive, however,
> I allow a +1 for every
> five points in the ability, rounding up. That seems
> to work quite well to
> my mind.

Yeah, but what happens when your rival (Hates Darianus 17) is dueling you to impress the parents of your true love (In Love With Anatara 5w) so that he can marry her, and not only your love but your honor (Honorable 19) and your place in the community (Member of Three Feathered Crowns League 17) is on the line? As a player, I'd be extremely frustrated if I could only pick one of those abilities to use as an augment when they are all in play. That takes a huge amount of HeroQuest's oomph away, and makes any number of abilities that usually only come into play as augments pretty useless.

--joshua m. neff

www.goblin-cartoons.com

Do You Yahoo!?