Re: Re: Augmenting to Augment?

From: joshua neff <joshua_neff_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:32:10 -0800 (PST)

> >Hey, play the game how you want, but personally,
> I'd
> >be really frustrated by that kind of "timesaving,"
> >since one of HQ's best features (for me) is
> >augmenting. It adds a level of drama and fun that
> few
> >other RPGs have.
>
> Strings of +1s and +2s is dramatic and fun? Well, if
> you say so. I
> personally find the grubbing around for another
> augment pretty dull.

Dramatic and fun? Absolutely! Because all of those modifiers *mean* something. I get those modifiers because my hero is Honorable and Madly In Love With Princess Bellflower and Devoted To The Starcatcher Clan. Not only is he good at Swordfighting, he's intimidating his opponent with his Battle-Hardened Face and his Fearsome Grin. And because this is an important fight, he's emulating his diety and invoking the Strike Against Chaos feat.

Watch the final lightsaber duel in Return of the Jedi. You think that punk Luke Skywalker defeated Darth Vader because he was finally better at lightsaber combat? No way. But he had loads of augments going: his love for his father, his protectiveness of Leia, his hatred of the dark side, his devotion to the Rebellion.

The last time I ran HQ, one of my players, a sergeant in the army, tried to convince a mighty general to go against the general's orders and not attack a temple. The player went all over her character sheet, finding each and every ability she thought was appropriate. As GM, I had the right to say no, of course, and there were one or two abilities I didn't think were suitable for augmenting. But by the time she had thrown on every ability and magical affinity, we had this epic argument going between the sergeant and the general. It was absolutely exciting for everyone at the table.

> But then I find anything that brings rules or
> mechanics into the game dull,
> so avoid it as best I can.

Well, as Mike Holmes said, it all boils down to a matter of taste. You may find multiple augments boring, you may find they get in the way of play. Which is cool. Me? I find they enhance play and rev the story up in a terrific way. I really only like game mechanics when they enhance play, rather than slowing play down to a boring crawl. I find that multiple augments don't slow play down, they're a part of play, and a hell of a fun one at that.

--joshua m. neff

www.goblin-cartoons.com

Do You Yahoo!?