Re: Augments

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:09:18 +0000 (GMT)

> > Strings of +1s and +2s is dramatic and fun? Well,
> if you say so. I
> > personally find the grubbing around for another
> augment pretty dull.
> >

> I have to agree with Graham here. Not only are
> piddling little +1s and +2s dull,...

Fascinating. I agree with that statement, too, and we get three very different results from it.

I think numbers are dull, no matter what the size. Dicerolling is dull. But explaining how my PC is being inspired by her love for the man she's trying to save, how she uses her ability in chandelier-swinging to enhance her sword-play, and so on - that's fun! And I don't want any artificial limits saying "no, you used love Fred so you can't use Swing from chandelier".

> 1)roll contest
> 2)see what bonus is needed to make any difference.
> 3)pick best augmenting ability, see what you need to
> get the required bonus -
> roll for it.
> (any penalties applied against the augmenting
> ability)
> (opponent does the same)
> 4)if this fails, pick second best augmenting
> ability, roll for that.
> 5) repeat, until augmenting abilities either are not
> good enough or the risk outweighs the reward.

Doesn't that involve an awful lot of rolling dice? It sounds dramatic all right, and I like the idea of the "after you discover you've failed" use of skills, though I think I'd use that to justify HP spend, but it seems like a lot of complicated Numbers. And I don't like Numbers. I'd rather do some dramatic prose ending with "so that's six lots of +2, then"

Jane Williams

Win a castle for NYE with your mates and Yahoo! Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com