Re: Digest Number 1712

From: Labrygon_at_...
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:32:39 EST

In a message dated 25/11/2004 7:25:41 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time, HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

> "He tried hard to win, given his love for her, but was defeated
> despite it" is just as dramatic as winning.

I agree about the failure aspect - I like my system because it (even more clearly IMO) would illustrate the above, that augment failed, but even though is love wasn't enough, perhaps his loyalty to her father might swing it. OK, so I admit this is more dice driven than player driven - the character might realise that his love for her was not as important as he thought, or that other things mattered or that he should practice whatever skill more. If you get +2 from 'love her', +! from 'loyal' and +1 from 'strong' then roll six under your target number, then none of them had any effect.

I actually do not find dice rolling dull, as long as each roll makes a difference. If there is excited anticipation of the result, whoops for successes and curses for failures then I think they are fun.

The idea was developed for FTF play, although I also think it makes some sense in PBeM.

Keith.