RE: The Numbers

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:48:24 -0500

>Almost every player will have better number and arithmetic skills than
>almost every character. IMO if narrators want to stop players doing
>calculations that would interfere with the story, they're always entitled
>to.

Mike Holmes made several comments that make sense to me. I think the overriding issue is the needs of the story ...

> Take it from a professional
> statistician - the one thing that I think is most unrealistic in game
design
> is how players have far too perfect a knowledge of situations.

... I've found this is mainly a problem if players have -more- real-world knowledge of some area than the narrator. The example I usually quote is from an SF game where our starship had misjumped and totally trashed all its computers. The GM tried to tell us that meant we had no way of knowing anything about our location, which he might have got away with if his players hadn't included two professional astronomers.

Andrew (also a statistician, among other things)