Re: Re: Augmenting to Augment?

From: joshua neff <joshua_neff_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 07:56:10 -0800 (PST)

In your "fanboyish" fervor, you're ascribing qualities to HeroQuest that simply don't exist. All RPG rules are, in the end, subject to GM & player fiat, because there is no RPG book that will literally stop a group or person from changing rules or interpreting rules to suit the group's or person's whim. And there are no HeroQuest cops to say, "Hey, you *can't* play that way. Stop now or we'll resort to deadly force."

So, if you hate the augmenting rules as written, you can change them and there's nothing no one can do about it. Which is exactly how all games, D&D to Rolemaster to Vampire to Sorcerer, work.

You're also getting really worked up over hypotheticals. Have you actually witnessed the HQ rules being taken advantage of by players to support the kind of play you seem so worried about? Have you actually seen a GM abuse his or her authority with HQ and refuse what seemed to you to be a suitable augment for no good reason? Or are you just worried that it *could* happen? If so...sure, it *could* happen. A lot of things *could* happen, but why work yourself into a frenzy about it until it *does* happen.

Disruptive players or GMs *could* ruin *any* game run with *any* rule system. Don't worry about it. You're currently playing in Mike's online game, right? Are you having fun? So, what's the big deal?

> Howdy Mike. There's a lot here, and a lot you've
> covered. I'll try to
> be as concise (yeah, right) as I can in my reply so
> perhaps my points
> will be clear(er).
>
> My understanding of the situation thus far is that
> most people on
> this list propose that a PC can automatically
> augment another PC's
> action whenever they want with no penalty or
> repercussion (and that
> this is implicitly supported in the HeroQuest text
> if not flat out
> written down in there somewhere). The only caveats
> to this rule are
> that the character must be in the same vicinity and
> the GM must
> *approve* of the augment. The primary debate seems
> to be whether a PC
> can add one, more than one or as many augments as
> can fit in Santa's
> sleigh to another PC's action.
>
> I don't like that. I think it's a "loophole" that
> could be open to
> manipulation on either the Player or the GM's part.
> As rules go, I
> don't like loopholes. They bug me. I don't like GM
> fiat in regards to
> the rules either. To me, GM fiat is not an answer.
> It doesn't "solve"
> the problem, IMO. So, saying "a good GM would never
> let this happen",
> doesn't satisfy me, even if it *is* true.
>
> That said, this "loophole" still bugs me.
>
> A) Because it's inconsistent with the rest of the
> ruleset. It doesn't
> follow either the spirit of AP lending nor does it
> follow the rules
> of other characters in the game supporting the PC in
> simple contests.
> HeroQuest is one of the most consistent rulesets
> I've ever run or
> played. I love it for that. Running across this
> inconsistency (which
> may just be interpretation, not necessarily "canon")
> is like finding
> out my supermodel girlfriend used to be a man. It's
> just one of those
> things that's going to bug me. And it's going to
> continue to bug me
> until I can make peace with it.
>
> B) Because there's no easy way to address this issue
> in play. Which
> leads to more inconsistency, IMO. Most groups play a
> game (from D&D
> to Risk to Monopoly) with a few tweaks. I understand
> this. But most
> groups can describe those tweaks in a couple of
> sentences or less.
> More than that and it ceases to become a "tweak"
> IMO. This "tweak" as
> it has been described doesn't really address the
> issue and further
> it's so open to interpretation (on the GM's part) as
> to be more of a
> suggestion and less of a rule. Which doesn't fly,
> IMO, with one of
> [...]

=== message truncated ===

--joshua m. neff

www.goblin-cartoons.com