RE: Using Magic As Active Abilities

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:42:45 -0000

> > I believe the rules say that unconcentrated, you may not use the
> > common magic as active abilities. The character concerned does not
> > have any healing abilities. So augment 6?

> Possibly one of the character's keywords could work. That
> character has the "warrior" keyword; I think one could argue
> that "warrior" should include "first aid", at least with an
> improvisational penalty

This seems likely to me, yet the keyword does *not* have "first aid". Does this mean that the designers overlooked it, or that for a Heortling warrior, first aid is beneath them and the omission is intentional?

Perhaps more helpfully, I seem to remember being told that using a skill as a defence does not count as "active", even if it's the primary skill being used. Is that right, and does it help?

Personally I still have terrible trouble visualising the difference between "active" and "non-active" use of a skill from the point of view of the character. As a rules-construct, yes, easy, but in-game?