An honest to God apology

From: bigblackcatmail <bigblackcatmail_at_...>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 03:41:55 -0000

I've done something really not cool. Recently, I was contacted by Mike Holmes, whom I consider a friend, and told that I have misrepresented him on the thread.

That was not my intention. If it was in the examples I've used from playing in his game, I'm sorry. I try to be as accurate as possible but I will be the first to admit that details can be overlooked with the passing of time. It was never my intention to misrepresent Mike's style of play, aptitude or anything.

I also did not mean to misrepresent his position in "Augmenting with Augments?" At times I was trying to lighten the conversation, poking fun at even my own position. If this was taken the wrong way or did not achieve its intent, then I'm obviously in the wrong.

In any case, I've screwed up big time. So this isn't about HeroQuest or modes of gaming or augments or anything.

This is about keeping someone I consider a friend.

I'm really, deeply sorry Mike. I did not mean to upset you, misrepresent you or abuse your trust in anyway. It was not my intent to insult you or denigrate you or anything of the sort.

I am obviously a disruption to this thread. I am obviously in the wrong. Worse yet, I'm obviously pretty clueless.

Sorry on all counts.

I won't be posting here again. I will, however, be lurking. I do learn things from this group, even if I suck at relaying what's churning around in my own head.

So, I'll leave the rules discussions to those who actually know the rules. Unfortunately, my corebook is buried in a pile of books thanks to an ill-conceived move on my family's part. It's anything but accessible at this moment.

I'll also leave the debate to those who can actually do it, without ticking off everyone on the thread. My attempts to keep the conversation light were obviously obstructive. My verbosity obviously occluded any point that I might have had. I'm a rotten debater and this isn't the first time that I've upset someone online without intending to.

And I have far too much respect for Mike, Mark, Paul, Roderick and the many other members of this group to keep pounding away when it is so obvious that my influence here is not constructive.

So I offer my apologies. Heart-felt, sincere, and (to a degree) desperate. I've never felt more crushed in the online environment than when Mike relayed to me in email that I had abused his trust.

So if any of this sounds like groveling, well, it probably is. And just like I obviously suck at debate. I probably am sucking at an apology too.

Thanks to Mike for taking the time to let me know how he felt. Sorry to all those who were caught in an obviously ill-conceived attempt on my part to figure out how I would use PC-2-PC augments in a potential table top game.

I was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm sorry. I won't pester you guys again. Honest.

Right now, I just feel like crawling into a corner.

Scott