RE: Re: Sidekick minimaxing

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:49:40 -0600

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>

>Personally I'd disallow it because of Mike's point: the dramatic impact.
>You no longer have "Bill the Slayer of A Thousand Trolls, known for
>witty repartee and bad dress sense", you have "wotsisname, you know, the
>one with the Really Big green dragon that lives in the next valley and
>snores."

Right. What I would allow is "Bill the Slayer of A Thousand Trolls, known for witty repartee and bad dress sense, who has the slight favor of a dragon." Represented by a keyword at 17 and three abilities which the player controls. To use he Hero System parlance, the Dragon is merely the "Special Effect" that gives the in-game explanation of where the abilities in question come from.

Using the same logic, we've used this to model powerful magic items, for instance. Sure it has all sorts of powers beyond what the player can currently control, but that's the norm for handling magic items anyhow. So this is the model, then for how this works. Treat the dragon like a magic item.

Mike