Re: Common-magic talismans

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:39:53 -0000

I think you are confusing Talismans (the "material component" of Sorcery type magic) and Charms (the "material component" of Animist type magic)

When a Spirit is placed into a charm it acts as an "always on" augmentation. The Spiritist (be they a common magic user or a practising Animist or Shaman) need do nothing more beyond carry the charm (next to the skin?).

When a Talisman is linked to a spell it acts as a channel to allow the caster to use that magic, and where this is part of, for example, an orderly's magic, the Talisman is recharged as part of the "standard" worship ceremony, making the magic it represents a "single use" spell at any given point in time. The question is (and I don't know the answer...) If the Talisman is for a Common Magic Spell, rather than one from a Wizards or Orders Grimoire, does it need to be recharged between uses, (and if so, how - Especially if you have a common magic spell despite your main religion being Animist or theist?)