Theists buying "sub-cult" magic wrt Heortlings

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:23:07 -0000

In the HQ rules, it allows initiates and devotees to join or just buy the magic from their god's sub-cults and hero-cults.

Now in the Heortling religion, as described in Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe, every god has multiple sub-cults. Again per the rules in those books, joining another sub-cult of your god (or within the aspect) takes another 10% of time and resources. This agrees with the description of joining a sub-cult in the HQ rules (10%). The HQ rules even briefly mention that most Heortling gods have many subcults.   So in that respect, it sounds like they are using sub-cult in the same way.

On the other hand, the implication that I read in the rules was that "sub-cults and hero cults" were equally lesser things. In other words, you can be an initiate or devotee, and at a lesser level of godly power there were petty gods or heroes associated with your worship, which you could join or buy the magic from.

Which leads to the question, can your average Heortling initiate or devotee just buy the magic from all of their god's (or god's aspect's) other sub-cults? So could an Ernaldan queen (of the queen sub-cult, I forget the name), just buy Kadone's grounding affinity? Could a Destor devotee buy Mastoko's "Three Step Movement" affinity? Could every Orlanth Allfather initiate buy Starkval's "Combat" affinity? (I don't have Thunder Rebels in front of me, please excuse if I have names a bit garbled). Note I'm talking about buying the magic without joining the sub-cult (so making no more time commitment)

I know I read this before, but the implications are just starting to sink in......

--Bryan