Re: Theists buying "sub-cult" magic wrt Heortlings

From: ASHLEY MUNDAY <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:44:50 +0000 (GMT)

We had this conversation a while back, and I came to the following conclusions:

Initiates can buy any magic they want from other subcults of the same aspect easily enough. If they want to learn an affinity from another subcult I ruled that they have to become a member of the subcult to do so.

If all they do is learn a single feat without joining the subcult they start the feat at a level of 13 and they can't improvise a greater score in it from an affinity they already possess (i.e. a Destor Initiate can't improvise a Mastakos only movement feat, even though he has a movement affinity). Only devotees can improvise feats outside of the list provided by their aspects.

The other thing I've allowed, and I doubt it'll ever happen, is for Initiates to learn other feats and affinities from other aspects of the same deity or other deities if they succeed in a request for Divine aid from that deity.

Devotees are a bit more limited. They can't learn any magic from any other source than the aspect they're devoted to. If they learn another subcult's feats they can use a relevant affinity to base their ability on. If they learn another affinity without becoming a member of the subcult, they use it like an Initiate would.

Cheers,

Ash