Re: Re: Common-magic talismans

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:50:50 -0800

> > In the Wizardry chapter of the HeroQuest book we find...
> > Page 161 'Once an orderly has used a spell ..., he cannot use it
> > again until he "recharges" the talisman.'
> > Page 164 'Unlike orderlies, adepts do not need to recharge their
> > talismans, and can cast a spell as often as they like.'
>
> As it would be rather odd for community level worshippers (the usual
> common magic users) to get the same benefits as adepts (the
> professionals), I would expect that the common magic talismans must be
> recharged, somehow. Each one is probably different. One may need done
> during any regular worship service, another might recharge itself each
> dawn or dusk, another each Sacred Time (like a magical plow that resets
> its blessing in time for planting, but runs out after one week of use,
> so that it can be used for the either the first or second planting of
> the year, but not both, and not for everybody in the area).

While the rules are not clear on the subject, to *my* mind, they do not need to be recharged.

  1. If you haven't concentrated, then the talisman is just a "lucky charm" augmentor, and doesn't 'use' a charge. No common magic augmentor ever needs to be recharged - they are "always on" (just as "Strong" can be an "Always on" augmentor for contests where strength is useful but not primary).

If you *have* concentrated, then the spell is an active ability, but the "recharge" is either not needed, or so simple that it can happen without Liturgist help. If you have concentrated, you are *not* a "community level worshipper"!

> Mainly, this just prevents someone from augmenting each and every
> contest with a talisman, as the character might with a charm.

Which *I* think is a silly ruling to make. But that's just me.

> Among the Heortlings, having one recharge every time one invokes Flesh
> Man, the putative source of all common magic, seems quite reasonable.
> People who use their talismans for everything might need to join every
> worship service that they can.

Talents definitely do *not* need recharging (nor do feats).

RR
- Richelieu