Re: Theists buying "sub-cult" magic wrt Heortlings

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:51:14 -0000

Hi Ash

What I allowed was that you could learn any affinity or feat from any sub-cult of YOUR primary religion. The caveat, and its a biggie, is getting taught it. In my game a couple of Orlanthi got the flight affinity but they could only improvise individual feats, they would have to learn them all seperatly. As it fitted with the story and King Broayn ordered it, so it was all in keeping with the epic thrust so to speak. We don't play the heortling clan type game so there is not any hanging about talking to the priest you know trying to cajole him into 'sorting you out'.

To be fair, none of the players asked about having feats from other subcults, so its not been an issue. As HQ is a more storytelling game, it's been my experience that on the whole people are not that bothered about picking up feats from all over the place. Having said that, if it makes a good story then why not I say.

I have been a big fan of the Martin Laurie and Wesley Quedros' Gwandor saga and if you look at some of tose characters they have loads of affinities and from what I can see its worked fine.

I think that Hero Point economics comes into play here. Magic is mucho grande expensive, and as a player, personnaly I would rather concentrate on my core stuff - the Secret rules encourage that.

Regards
Rob