Re: Tap Spell

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:51:32 +1300

At 11:18 AM 12/9/04 +0000, you wrote:

>Well i cound not find anything to explain its working on HQ, so what
>do you think how Tap sould be handled ?

It was explained in HeroWars (in too much detail for the main rulebook). Basically it's only taught to sorcerers that have mastered the order's grimoires to two masteries each.

There are five tap spells - tap physical, tap mental, tap relationship, tap personality and tap magic. I would rename these spells to Tap Body, Tap Mind etc as the given names are too rulesy.

To tap someone, you engage them with the tap spell against a chosen ability in an extended contest. If you win the contest, then you add the number of AP below zero that the victim ended up with to your tap pool. The victim suffers a permanent wound to the tapped ability depending on how heavily he was tapped. I would expand the penalty from one ability to all abilities of a given class. If you have been tapped physically, you are much weaker in all physical activities.

There is a paragraph about how you can get the tapped ability back if you kill the sorcerer (I'm dubious) and also how a victim is killed if _all_ his physical or mental abilities are reduced to zero. This was excessive compared to RQ and so I would change it to a victim receiving the equivalent of four wounds on any one category,

The points in the tap pool were used as one time edges. Since the method of calculating the tap pool is far too clunky for my likes, I would suggest using the wound-equivalents as one time bumps - i.e. you inflict a wound on a duck using tap, you get a bump to be usable once.

--Peter Metcalfe

---