Re: crunchycontest

From: Nick Hollingsworth <nick.hollingsworth_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:28:47 -0000

Luc:
> we faced the famous problem of ranged combat in
> an extended contest.

Apologies that this is not an answer to your crunchy contests question.
However re missile combat and similar asymetric contests you might find some advice at this Forge thread
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=13605 helpful.

As far as the crunchy combat rules go: my group and I read them and thought they looked interesting. We were planning to use them because we expected the extended contests to become a pain. But we never did use them because extended contests turned out to be cool.

So I would advise you to stick with extended contests for a while. They take a bit of getting used to, but once you have got the hang of how to really use them (as opposed to understanding them from a mechanical point of view) they are versatile and enjoyable. Dont jump ship till you have given them a solid go.

One of the good things about them is that they dont work well if you are hanging on to a simulationist mind set. IMO HQ works much better once you shed this. So extended contests server a useful role even if you end up prefering simple contests.

Cheers,
Nick