crunchy contest

From: Luc Lavergne <Arkat_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:00:17 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to you all for your thoughts on the crunchy contest rules and about how to handle ranged combat with the HQ extended contest rules.

I like the idea of simulating ranged weapons using simple contests with wounds as results.

One particular comment, from Nick Hollingsworth, caught my attention (speaking about the HQ extended contest rules):

>>"One of the good things about them is that they dont work well if you
are hanging on to a simulationist mind set. IMO HQ works much better once you shed this. So extended contests server a useful role even if you end up prefering simple contests."<<

I played with the HQ rules in a Glorantha setting a couple of times, and I played with the HW rules before that maybe 3 times, and the extended contest rules did work well for that, even for the occasionnal ranged weapons. It took some time to "shed" the simulationist side in each of us (that was made harder from all those years playing RuneQuest before that) but once the cinematic/heroic storytelling style caught on it worked well.

Gamma World, or if you prefer My Gamma World (YGWMV), is a rude place. I play it very low-tech style, I play it deadly, primitive. That's why I think a simulationist approach might better represent the world we want to play in. I will give the crunchy contest rules a test run and I will see if that fits the style I want to give to the games.

Do you think it's possible to play with the HeroQuest rules as they are in a simulationist way ? I believe that it needs some modification. What would you change to make it work even though it might be completely heretical regarding the HQ rules canon ? I do not want to change the HQ rules to play HQ, I want to play a different style of game and use the HQ rules as a base.

L�che-vitrine ou l�che-�cran ?
magasinage.yahoo.ca