RE: Norse Runes

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:54:38 -0000

> As we have almost no idea what 'traditional Viking rune
> magic' was like,

Read the Sagas, Egil's Saga in particular. There are some quite good descriptions, and cautionary tales.

> and anyway magic does not actually work in the RW,

This is probably the wrong list on which to make that sort of assumption. Not wanting to put words in Greg's mouth, but I suspect he would disagree with you (depending on what you define as "magic", of course!), and so might quite a few other people. Flashy AD&D type fireball magic seems not to work, no. The more subtle stuff done by, say, the Norse Runes - well, I find it quite handy from time to time. Only as an augment, though, if I'm doing it myself instead of consulting an expert.