Modifying the effects of iron

From: John Galloway <yuskim1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:25:23 -0000

Page 78 of the HQ book describes a modifier which is appied to equipment 'merely' for being equpment. A number of people have expressed dissatisfaction with this rule.

For those of you who do not use it in their Gloranthan game how do you determine what effects iron equipment have (which the equivalent non-iron item would not have)?

As I understand it under the normal rule items get either a +1, +3, or +5 modifier. This modifer is doubled if the item is made from refined iron. The doubled number is also applied as a penalty to the ability rating of any magic cast on or by the item's possesor (whether the iron is refined or not) but it does not apply to magic inherent to the item itself (i.e. if the item has a name and rating).

Against elves, trolls, and other creatures vulnerable to iron the modifier is tripled rather than doubled (though the magic dampening effect stays at the doubled level) and if the item has magical ability rating then one tenth of it is also added to the modifer.

Now, if I want to set the modifier to zero then doubling (or tripling) has absolutely no effect which is no good at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks,