Re: Mystic magic

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 00:30:55 +0100 (BST)

Nils Weinander:
> * Defending against magic with your disciplines. This is
> not of much use, at least initially. With the -20 penalty
> the default defense at 14 is better until you reach 15w
> and then you are still better off using other appropriate
> abilities if they are higher than discipline-20.

Though unlike a theist, you may not have another 'generic' magical defence. Not clear what the intended effect is, though.

> * Once you do get access to the powers, you can have many,
> but just one counter, which means you can know many strikes.
> That seems odd. Given the nature of strikes I could easier
> see that only one strike is allowed.

This almost makes sense to me, but in the abstract is hard to tell for sure.

> * The strike mechanic also has some oddities. The special
> effect only happens if you drive the opponent below 0 AP.
> But at 0 AP the opponent is already out of the contest
> which makes the special effect less important and less
> dramatically interesting.

True, though all the existing examples seem to be fairly contest-ending anyway. ("You're now at 10AP--" "OK" "--and dead." "Oh.)

> All this and the heavy cost in hero points in using the
> chancy strikes make it feel like martial artists are NPCs
> only.

If that was the intent, it wasn't the best way of doing that, either...

> Finally, the examples in the descriptive text "transform
> hands to eagle talons" and "ride a thunderbolt into battle"
> don't sound like either counters or strikes. How do you fit
> them into the concept?

My question is more, how do you fit them into Glorantha? (Mutter, mutter.)

Cheers,
Alex.