Re: Re: Possible house rules on concentrating magic

From: ASHLEY MUNDAY <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:06:55 +0000 (GMT)

Rob said:

"I'm also trying to avoid the "munchkin" scenario..."

I wouldn't bother trying to avoid it using rules. Munchkins are attracted to rules 'cause they give 'em something to manipulate which doesn't require any human interaction - hence their attraction to DnD for one thing.

If someone wants to spend their magical life yakking to to a rock, let 'em. Make sure they have decent reasons for all the abilities they pick up and you'll be laughing.

If the character concept makes sense it'll turn out okay.

As a side issue - I only let characters concentrate on a type of magic if they've been to the otherworld they wish to concentrate on. It's got nothing to do with their abilities as magical practitioners* but on how well they know the otherworld. So, ye average Heortling can concentrate on theist magic, a few exceptional ones can concentrate on animist and anyone who feels like being a rock hugger can concentrate on all common magic. Wizardry and spells tend to be right out though.

(*Although more highly practised practitioners will have been to the relevant otherworld to have got that good).

Cheers,

Ash