RE: Re: Possible house rules on concentrating magic

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:13:20 -0600

>From: "parental_unit_2" <parental_unit_2_at_...>

>I'd generalize the idea slightly: Characters who want to concentrate
>any kind of magic (not just Common Magic) can't do so at will.
>Instead, they must learn the secret of doing so from some organization
>and make an ongoing commitment of their time and resources to that
>organization. The organization might be a theist cult, an animist
>practice, a wizard school or order, a common religion, or some kind of
>craft guild. I'd probably set the bar at something like 25% of the
>character's time and resources.

I had a guy get Self-Rocked up in play. Josh (the narrator) had it take a couple of months, and I had to find somebody to show me how, and convince them to do it.. all sorts of trouble. I'm also quite sure that this character spent a lot of time talking to his rock - after all, he could no longer join any other magical tradition, so he wouldn't be using his time for that, now would he?

As far as HP, I'm sure that I would have spent at least 25%, and probably more like 50% (that game ended shortly after he got all self-rocked up).

What I think is ironic is how all along Josh kept trying to get me to change my mind, because he felt that my character wouldn't be powerful enough without going into some specialized religion (in fact, that may have been a contributing reason to why that game aborted). <shrug> In any case, I did it specifically because I felt that this was a low power approach, and was trying to emulate a type of minor magician. Having "Firestick Charm" that actually lit itself, and didn't just help me light fires seemed pretty rinkadink up against the other hero speaking to the dead and such.

Mike