Re: Experience Contribution

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:44:54 -0000

> I'm not worried about what to spend HP on, that's easy. What I'm
worried about is the community committment.... I think what's important is maintaining the
> relationship with the religious organization, and with the related
> supernatural being.

I agree with this.

There's a related thread on Heroquest-RPG on how to roleplay devotees of Otherworld entities, and what narrators should require. It's not clear to me how to do this right. The rules are pretty clear, but it's not clear what you want to do in-game beyond allocating Hero Points. What would a pious character devoted to an occupational god (e.g. a warrior god, the canoe god, or Orlanth the Herder) do differently from any master of the occupation?

In the case of the canoe cultist: He's been fanatical about canoeing at every opportunity and learning about the canoeing technologies of other cultures. For example, he spent much of last session scraping the bilges of a Maslo catamaran as part of an ongoing contest to befriend its crew and learn the secrets of the outrigger they have on deck. It's pretty clear that this kind of behavior is "pious", in the sense that it's just plain weird, and has relatively little to do with normal goals like greed, power, and glory.

However, it's not clear to me how a devoted worshipper of a god of warriors (e.g. Destor the Adventurer) would show his devotion in-game any differently from a mundane sword-swinger.

Rob