Ash's Guide To How To Live With Ability Monsters

From: ASHLEY MUNDAY <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:48:16 +0000 (GMT)

Flynnkd2 mentioned problems with an Uber Humakti slice 'em dice 'em merchant. As a GM I get fed up with some (okay, one) players whinging that their character's had sod all to do during a particular contest, so as a player I decided to put my money where my mouth was and get stuck in to every contest I could. I worked out the following guidelines to keep my character doing something in contests.

Incidentally, this works for all types of contest, not just with vastly different combat abilities.

Ash's Guide To How To Live With Ability Monsters

  1. Try and find a way of making an opponent defend with a worse ability. If he's got an impervious close combat ability, switch to using magic and see if his magic resistance is worse. Be like Spiderman who routinely used "wit" against opponents "self control" to gain an advantage.
  2. Forget trying to actually affect the opponent, augment the person on your side with the best chance of success. As your abilities become greater, rolled augments become a serious option. If you've got 5w2 with a relevant ability try a +5 rolled augment, it's unlikely to go wrong and a significant amount of the time you'll generate a +10 augment instead. Save a hero point in case the "dead cert" rolled augment goes horribly wrong.
  3. Instead of augmenting, lend AP. Small loans (in relation to the ability used for the transfer) turn the lender into an inexhaustable AP generator. You also get to control the resistance which means it's unlikely to go badly wrong and can be used with almost any ability.
  4. Pick on someone your own size. Help your big fighter out by removing multiple target penalties. Oddknutt, Kaarg's Son, may be able to crack walnuts with his foreskin, but his Trollkin horde probably can't even open a bag of peanuts without outside assistance.
  5. Finally, sometimes it's just polite to stand back and let the top banana do all the work and take the credit. It's probably the point of the character so don't take it away from the player. Just because McGiver can construct a nuclear missile out of a pair of Val Singleton's old pants doesn't mean he always has to. While the group is frequently more capable than the individual, sometimes the individual is more heroic than the group.

Cheers,

Ash