RE: Re: Are 3 worlds and concentration a "new truth"?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:26:03 -0600

>From: "Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_...>

> > So theists using spirit magic on a regular basis *is* a part of
> > Glorantha, and has been for decades.
> >
> > So.... What happened?
>
>Going back to what I said earlier - Runequest was a game system that
>Glorantha was Added to. Heroquest it seems to me was designed to
>fit Glorantha.

I'd agree. In any case, I like the Gloranthan reality that HQ puts out (I think it works better for other game worlds too). And, again, it's just another indicator of effort, which I think was generally supported earlier.

In any case, no, I don't think that concentration fits perfectly with earlier versions of what the system said about reality. But then any change in system is likely to do that to some extent anyhow.

>I played in return to Apple Lane (a heroquest
>scenario - first rate!) and GM'd the RQ2 module. Apple Lane is now
>essentially superceded by the changes of Heortling culture but I
>excuse that for nostalgic reasons. And anomolies were good enough
>for Tolkein (Bombadill for example) so I feel comfortable with
>keeping Aple Lane as it is.

I'm familiar with these scenarios, as I was supposed to run them at Origins this year (nobody showed). And, yes, I think that the differences are very interesting in all sorts of ways. The way that the original scenario is presented, you can see the "magic as resource" approach, and in the latter version, it's "Magic as meaning." That is, in the latter version, especially with the NPCs chosen (did the version you had have pregen PCs, or were you using ones from a regular game?), the conflict was largely about the sorts of magic present.

Concentration is just another element to add into this mix.

Mike