Re: Are 3 worlds and concentration a "new truth"?

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:30:01 -0000

> Nick Hollingsworth:
>
> > Firstly I dont agree that this is the case. If I did I could
> > probably learn to lurve the concentration rules.
> >
> > There has been huge quantities of published and unpublished
> > stuff about Glorantha over the years. But I can't recall this
> > ever having been described as the way that magic works.

Jane:

> So theists using spirit magic on a regular basis *is* a part of
> Glorantha, and has been for decades.
>
> So.... What happened?

In the RQ days, the discussion was about Fetches, Allied Spirits and Familiars. You could only have one, and this choice denoted a permanent change in the character's relationship to the magical world. Also Shamans and Priests couldn't learn the 'special' sorcery skills (Range, Duration, Multispell, etc) for example. Shamans could only learn very limited Divine Magic, basicaly just enough to game mechanicaly give them permanent magical powers to operate as shamans.

At the time, Greg used the analogy of advanced practicioners of a form of magic developing a special spiritual organ, which was specific to atheir chosen form of magic and made it difficult to deal withn other forms of magic.

Characters that were advanced practicioners of one style of magic were severely limited in their ability to exploit other forms of magic. In HeroQuest, these limitations are simplified and rationalised.

Simon Hibbs