Re: Three worlds stuff

From: Nick Hollingsworth <nick.hollingsworth_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:34:43 -0000

Sam:
> In Birmingham? I'm in Oxford, wouldn't mind a "real" game
> some time ;-> )

Hopefully the evil wink relates to a game of HQ. If so we meet on a monday evening not too far from the M40/M42 to be reachable from Oxford and you can mail me for details. If not I doubt there is much I can do for you.

> I'd probably rationalise spirits as small versions of
> gods ... common magic as fragments of whatever type of
> worship which have spread about like useful shareware
> (or memes)

This used to be one of the possible views of spirits / gods. And still seems to be worth retaining as *an* explanation held by *some* cultural groups.

And I suspect that common magic is indeed a mishmash of stuff viewed through the blinkered worldview of the user and hence is thought of differently even though it has lot in common between different groups. I dont think we necessarily need a definitive statement on how it works. After all the description of the success and failure of the '3 sorts' of characters to magically lift a rock worked OK in HW and was as subjective as you could want.