RE: Re: improvising feats

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:31:11 -0000

> > You can't improvise a feat of something your god never
> did--your magic
> > is your gods magic, you can't add to that*.

Yep, agreed. But you can learn things about your god that no-one in living memory has realised. That's what being a Devotee is all about.

> > You know your god did it--but you don't know the details of how to
> > learn it properly, to do it with full skill.

Agreed. You'd have to practice, think over every aspect of the myth, and so on - spend effort commesurate with a hero point, say.

And I still think that while learning a Feat from someone who already knows it, at a holy spot, is the easier way (even initiates can manage that much!), it seems obvious that it *is* possible to do without. Otherwise we have a chicken/egg situation. Where did the existing feats come from? Someone, once, must have taught themselves how to do them. And if they can, we can.

> > *OK, barring experimental heroquesting, which technically is not
> > adding to it but rather redefining what was always there, if I
> > understand it properly.

Well, yes, but then if you're improvising feats on the Hero Plane, I suspect you're well on the way to experimental heroquesting anyway. At least, I know we were last time we tried it... (carry on with this myth to point X, then when it intersects this other one, swap protagonists and take a sharp left....)

In fact, I don't see what more you could want to do to cement a feat than what we did.
We know that in the final station of this quest, Humakt does Y. Therefore there must be a feat to do Y, so I'll just improvise it and use it, in the right place in the right myth, on the heroplane. And succeed.

> I have to say in
> practice when in our game we improvise some new feat, we
> generally don't bother to cement it. I *can* imagine that
> leading to Feat lists as long as yer arm!

Remember, it was only ever feats improvised on the HeroPlane that you got to cement. Not ones you did in the mundane. But yes.... Maybe we just spent more time on the HeroPlane than the average group. There were a fair few new Feats. Not that I see this as a problem in the slightest.