Re: Sartar Rising books

From: bankuei <Bankuei_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 07:12:03 -0000

Hi flynnkd,

As you've probably already surmised, I'm one of those people who advocates a different
sort of scenario for play. It's very interesting to see how many holdover assumptions from
other games have still clung on, even in Heroquest. On one hand, you have lots of quotes
from the game text promoting player characters as heroes and as the focal protagonists,
then you have the scenario advice that effectively cuts player input to a very minimal level.

Heroquest is all about making and remaking, of people, cultures and civilizations, even
mythology and cosmology, through the power of heroquesting. In this, we have a game
history that reaches back even before the shift to Hero Wars that has encouraged players
and entire groups to write up their own cultures and mythologies, and interpretations of
official canon. Right there, we've got making and remaking.

In play, you have heroes who begin play loaded with relationships, emotional hang-ups, a
culture in conflict, transition or change, heroes who are not finished products, who, as
play continues, will add more traits and make every adventure a bit of self discovery on
top of action. You have heroes fighting to save their people, sometimes from themselves,
heroes fighting for a new ideal, or way of life. You have characters that making and
remaking themselves and their cultures. You have heroes loaded with tons of "theme
ammo" waiting to go off.

You have a system that makes generating any sort of conflict a snap. The narrator doesn't
need to calculate attributes, stats, and secondary scores. You can always just look at the
resistance chart in the back of the book and fudge something, anytime you want. You
don't have to worry about movement rates, or encumberance, or tons of other logistical
bits. You look at what seems plausible(realistic, cinematic, entertaining, whatever), and
you go with it.

All this together- there is NO reason to 1) dictate a story to the players, 2) feel as if you
will be "woefully" unprepared to keep the session going. Hence, no need for linear plots.
In fact, if you really want to have players engaged in the process making and remaking, of
making Glorantha theirs, of owning the mythology they create, you can't deny them input
at the same time ask for it of them.

What -is- necessary to be prepared, is to have a good idea of the situation you are playing
in as a group. What area are you playing in? What cultures are around? What are the local
politics and conflicts? What's going on with your heroes? What relationships do they have?
Are there any ongoing conflicts, internal or external?

This sounds like a lot of prep. But, no, it can be as simple as "Two Heortling clans,
fighting over land." If you know Heortlings, and can come up with some plausible
situation where they would fight over land, boom, there's your conflict. Make sure the
conflict or its outcomes WILL affect the heroes. ("Yo, if the Blackwolf clan takes the land,
they probably will bring in more of those damn Lunar priests! That's our ancestral graves
they'll be 'blessing'!")

Now, you add a couple of neat NPCs, either having prepared them in detail, or just jotted
down some names and features ("Geoff the 'Bear', loud, overbearing, like a berserker army
sergeant...ugh!"), and you play them like you would if you were a player and these were
your characters. Take the most plausible(realistic, cinematic, entertaining, whatever)
choices, make things more complicated for whatever the heroes are doing, without closing
off the ability to succeed("I'm undergoing initiation- if I get involved in kinstrife during this
week, I'm screwed!")

Here's an example of a non-linear scenario I wrote with the help of Peter Nordstrand.

http://www.geocities.com/doctorpeace/well.html

Chris