Creating a New Magic

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:19:28 -0600 (CST)

Dear HeroQuesters,

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>
asks

> So I can quite happily introduce an NPC Devotee with a new (but
> non-controversial) Feat,

Yes, sure. We had always imagined that people would have Feats that are not on the lists.
As long as the Narrator agrees.

> and have her teach it to others?

Well, you don't teach it per se. You show how to do it, the folks go to the Otherworld where they participate in its "invention" and become one with it, so to speak, and then have access to it.

>> If your character discovers or makes up a magic that is NOT from
>> your god there is no way that it can dome from that god. It
>> becomes, instead, a magic from your character. That is how a
>> Hero Cult is made.
>
> I'm feeling a bit blank about how a Theist character *could* come up
> with a magic that isn't from their god, but it sounds like a great idea
> if you can pull it off. Heros. That's what we want to be.

Imagine that you are trying to cross the Western Ocean. You can take the turtle, fly on the gulls, capure a boat, freeze the water or even walk on it because, this time, there is no water there at all.

But instead, you summon that whale that you liberated and befriended when you were on an adventure as a Man of the Sea and, so now you let it eat you, and ride safely across to the Dawns of Dusk in its belly.

You have made a new way to cross the sea in the myth. You can, if you survive, tell that story to others upon your return. Now, maybe they need that method, or they just like it, or it has some other advantage that makes people want to continue to use it. They will be able to get it by going to the Hero Plane and doing the act with/as your character. As long as your character is remembered and mythicaly alive (ie, worshipped to some extent) then this method is available. So if people want the power, they will institute hero worship of the character who made the Whale Food Ride method/Feat/Ritual.

>> Yes, of course you character can "discover" a new Feat of the
>> god, too! So you discover that Orlanth has a Spit Upwind feat
>> that no one has ever used, your character improvises it and
>> pulls it off (thereby proving it DOES exist). So to "cement"
>> it you need to go to a temple to visit the Hero Plane or God
>> World to unite with that feat to make it permanent.
>
> Let me check - do you actually need to visit a temple? Or would visiting
> the Hero/God plane without benefit of temple do? (assuming you can
> manage this!)

The temple is a place of worship and gateway to the Otherworld. You really need to worship, that is the key.

And I hope this, too, makes things easier for you.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford