Re: One session per season...

From: Darren Hill <rpglists_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:09:21 -0000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:57:18 +0000 (GMT), Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> That's one thing that's always confused me. "Progress"
> during "down-time". Your "take a keyword level" sounds
> good. But the actual rules on the subject don't seem
> to allow for any of this. In fact, doubling HP cost
> for anything that isn't "in-game" would seem to make
> it extremely hard for these people who spend most of
> their time farming to get any better at farming.

If you say that your character is farming between adventures, even if you don't play it, you should avoid the double cost. The double cost rule is there to encourage that the things you buy match the things your character has experienced. Whether you experience it in moment-by-moment play or in backstory shouldn't matter - both are equally valid experiences for the character. (She doesn't know that her player paid no attention to the time she spent farming! Her god was neglecting her! :))

>> Basically, following the drama rule above, you only
>> play out portions of the
>> characters lives that the narrator intends to make
>> especially dramatic. For
>> some people, this is more "buyable" than the idea
>> that every minute of every
>> day is a drama for the characters.
>
> Depends on the characters, I think.

I think Mike means he would make that judgement on a per-character basis - for this character, this contest is unimportant, so we skip over that. For that character, it's an important focus of her story so lets focus on that.

Darren